People move from one place to another all the time. In fact, according to Forbes, 40 million people relocate within the country every year for any number of reasons. Baby boomers, for example, usually move to places with warmer climates and/or towns with lower costs of living. Still others leave their areas of residence to attend college or for higher paying jobs or business opportunities. No matter what the reason, you need a relocation checklist to help you stay right on track, especially if you are moving out of state.
Why Do You Need a Relocation Checklist?
While moving from Georgia to another state may be less overwhelming than relocating to another country, it can still be an extremely grueling task. After all, you still need to plan and organize everything to make sure you don’t lose anything of value or damage your furniture and other valuables in the process.
Proper planning also keeps you from running into some common but easily avoidable problems. With a plan in hand, you don’t have to worry about running out of packing supplies and materials, sustaining injuries while packing or moving or spending more than expected for the move. Aren’t these reasons enough to convince you that you need a relocation checklist for a successful out of state move?
Some Key Takeaways When Planning to Move Out of State
- Start planning two or three months before the move. Start planning early so you’ll have enough time to do all the things you need to do before the Big Day. By planning your move in advance, you can have more than enough time to sort through your stuff, have your valuables appraised for insurance purpose, and prepare formal notifications about your change of address (for the S. Postal Service, your utility companies, bank, credit card providers, insurance company, publications and government offices). This is also the best time to start looking for the right moving company.
- Begin packing one month before the move. Ideally, you should start packing some of your non-essential items at least one month before the move. Make sure all the boxes are secured and labelled accordingly.
- Start disposing unwanted items two or three weeks before the move. There is no sense bringing all your old stuff to your new home, so consider holding a moving out sale to dispose of items you no longer want or need. You can donate your unsold items to charity.
- Make sure everything is in order a week before moving day. Aside from finishing your packing, you should also prepare your pets and confirm your reservation with your chosen moving company during your final week in your old home.
- Do final checks the day before you move. You wouldn’t want to leave anything of value behind, so do a final sweep the night before moving day.
- Be ready for moving day! Make sure there is someone who will take charge of the loading and unloading process and answer any questions the movers may have. Remember, there is no room for foul ups, especially when you’re moving out of state!
Moving out of state can be an exciting but nerve-wrecking adventure so plan your move accordingly to make the most from the experience. If you don’t have the time to pack and move your belongings to your new home or business location, trust Best Deal Movers to do it for you. We can take the hard work out of your hands so give us a call at 678-771-5599 or send us an email at email@example.com or use the contact form in our website.